~ Calling All Students and Young Professionals ~
Arts and Humanities: Don't Leave School Without Them
Career Advice from Students and Young Professionals
Calling all students and young professionals from all disciplines, communities, and backgrounds to share experiences and opinions on what they would want their peers to know now about why, how and where the arts and humanities can play a foundational and transformative role in their educations and careers.
- How would you answer the perennial question: “What are you going to do with that major”?
- If you were a high school student again, what would you have wanted to know about the value of gaining a degree or taking classes in the arts and humanities before you started college or entered a professional school?
- As a young professional (in any field), what would you like to share about the surprising and perhaps unexpected role of the arts and humanities in your work?
Add your voice to this book through a short essay (~1500 words), comic strip, zine, infographic, interview, poster, design, photograph, visualization, or any other publishable material.
Please send your contributions to Christine Henseler (firstname.lastname@example.org). Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis until complete.
Questions you might find useful (others are welcome):
- How has taking classes in the arts and humanities changed or impacted your professional choices? Have they led to exciting or unusual careers that you did not know about when you were a student?
- Why should students interested in pursuing a career in profession-oriented fields like nursing, engineering, business, and so on, still consider gaining a solid background or double-majoring in the arts and humanities?
- What innovative, necessary or challenging ideas emerge when you combine different fields with the arts and humanities? How does this combination make sense?
- How do or did the arts and humanities prepare you for the workplace? What surprising doors can they open?
- What are some surprising or unusual careers that your peers might not know about? And what is the role of the arts and humanities in those jobs?
- Has your attention to the arts and humanities affected the way you see the world? Yourself? Your future?
- Are there data or facts about the role and value of the arts and humanities that need to be given more attention? Could you explain or visualize this data for your peers?
- How might you visualize or creatively express the value of gaining a degree or a background in arts and humanities in a way that resonates with your peers?
If you are interested in volunteering to develop sections of this book, please feel free to e-mail email@example.com