Calling for Submissions
Our Future in the Arts and Humanities
Career Advice from Students and Young Professionals
A book for and by students and young professionals about the future of a
career in the arts and humanities.
Calling all students and young professionals from all communities, backgrounds and interests to share experiences and opinions on what your peers need to know now about why, how and where the arts and humanities play a foundational and transformative role in schooling and careers. Please share your thoughts.
- How would you answer the perennial question: “What are you going to do with that major”?
- If you were a high school student again, what would you have wanted to know about the value of gaining a degree or taking classes in the arts and humanities before you started college or entered a professional school?
- As a young professional (in any field), what would you like to share about the surprising and perhaps unusual role of the arts and humanities in your work?
Add your voice to this book through a short essay (~1500 words), comic strip, zine, infographic, interview, poster, design, photograph, visualization, or any other publishable material. Please send your contributions to Christine Henseler (email@example.com). Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis until complete.
Questions you may want to consider (others welcome):
- How has taking classes in the arts and humanities changed or impacted your professional choices? Have they led to exciting or unusual careers that you did not know about when you were a student?
- Why should students interested in pursuing a career, such as nursing, engineering, business, and so on, still consider gaining a solid background in the arts and humanities? What innovative, necessary or challenging ideas emerge from this combination? How does this combination make sense?
- How do or did the arts and humanities prepare you for the workplace? What surprising doors do they open?
- What are some surprising or unusual careers that your peers might not know about? And what is the role of the arts and humanities in those jobs?Has your attention to the arts and humanities affected the way you see the world? Yourself? Your future?
- Are there data or facts about the role and value of the arts and humanities that need to be given more attention? Could you explain or visualize this data for the next generation?
- How might you imagine the value of gaining a degree or a background in arts and humanities?